Rise and Fall of CORBA

I recently got into a little argument with Michi Henning about his article Rise and fall of CORBA. This is too bad, because we mostly agree with each other. I think CORBA is dead too. My only point is that I think it is dead for much more fundamental reasons than he does. That is, I am not sure that tranparent distributed objects are a good idea at all -- which is why I am interested in web services. My paper on this topic, Web Services versus Distributed Objects: A Case Study of Performance and Interface Design, is meant to explain some things to people who think CORBA is great and web servcies are just a bad implementation of distributed objects. The ideas presented shouldn't be surprising to experts, but I hope the presentation is a clear explanation of the issues. Also, the wrappers I develop are ceratinly better than the standard one's you get from Axis -- and they are perhaps a useful model when working in RMI as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

> This is too bad, because we mostly agree with each other.

William, I would appreciate it if you were to speak for yourself. You may be agreeing with me, but I do not recall having said that I agree with you.

> I think CORBA is dead too.

I also do not recall having said that CORBA is dead and, again, I would appreciate it if you were to speak for yourself.

> My only point is that I think it is dead for much more fundamental reasons than he does.

Seeing that I do not think that CORBA is dead, your reasons for thinking that CORBA is dead are indeed much more fundamental than mine, because I do not have any such reasons.

> My paper on this topic, Web Services versus Distributed Objects: A Case Study of Performance and Interface Design, is meant to explain some things to people who think CORBA is great and web servcies are just a bad implementation of distributed objects.

For the information of the interested reader, the "little argument" can be found at http://www.acmqueue.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showcomments&pid=396

Cheers,

Michi.

William R Cook said...

Michi- You didn't say that my conclusions were wrong; you just said that they were obvious. That doesn't sound like strong disagreement to me. You wrote an article titled "Rise and Fall of CORBA"… so it seems reasonable to assume you think it has fallen. Oh, and this is a blog, so everything I say should be understood as beginning "I think...".

However, I apologize for seeming to put words into your mouth. That is not my intent.